Opened to the public on May 3, 1960, The Anne Frank House was built in 1635 and renovated in 1740 in which year an extension was built, the "Achterhuis" (Back House). This part of the house became the hiding place of two Jewish families, the German familie 'Frank' and Dutch family 'van Pels'.

In 1840 a second renovation was done when the top façade was replaced.

Preventing the initial house to be demolished, the '
Anne Frank Foundation' was founded in 1957 to preserve the building and historical value for future generations.

In the first year as a museum, the Anne Frank House had some 9,000 visitors in 1960. The next year, the number of visitors doubled.

Over the years, the number of visitors increased to a staggering 1,227,000 visitors from 95 different countries in 2014.

The largest group are visitors between the age of 20 - 30 years (32%).
As a present for her 13th birthday, Anne received a red checkered diary from her father Otto.

The original diary is on display in the '
Dagboek Zaal', among other diaries and manuscripts.
The bookcase, opening like a door, was constructed by the warehouse supervisor, Mr. Voskuijl and covered the entrance to the secret annex.

Anne wrote in her diary that now they had a real hiding place keeping them safe for house searches by the Germans who regularly looked for hidden bicycles.
Contact information
Prinsengracht 267
1016 GV Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Phone: + 31 20 556 7105
Contact
Website
Where is the Anne Frank House?
When Anne came to Amsterdam she almost immediately decorated her room with movie star pictures.

The room in the picture is a reconstruction.
The Anne Frank House
Anne Frank in Madame Tussauds, Amsterdam
LOVELY
HOLLAND
WWW.LOVELYHOLLAND.NL 2012 - 2017
lovelyholland@gmail.com